these horns are not for honking

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I've been playing the piano a lot lately. When I got the mole on my wrist removed, I got some gnarly stitches that made guitar hurt in a really yucky stretched out skin kind of way. Turns out I had me some malignant melanoma there so I gotta get more of my skin cut off, more gnarly stitches. I figure it's the Lord's way of telling me I should get back to my roots. I can play "Shave and a Haircut".

I can also play other things.

I got a B+ on a paper. Oh ouch. Notoriously difficult professor so I should be proud I suppose, but I haven't seen one of them wiggly B letters in ages. I'm used to the more angular and straight forward A. Luckily, I already have a syllabus for one course next quarter and I am going to get so far ahead the year 2012 will be eating my dust.

I made another friend at school today for a grand total of 3. Things are going pretty well. Long holiday weekend full of cramming and working at a diner crammed (I hope!) with cheap, crabby holiday shoppers. Adam is coming down for the holiday weekend and next weekend is the dance show. Have to get a costume, powder blue and white for maximum washed-out effect, and backstage more cramming for finals. The next week finals and then, Liberty, Debauchery and Pleasure Reading!

And Faulkner.

3 comments:

Your Maugham said...

Dude, I wish I could play piano. It's so fucking classy. And I'm jealous that you get to take fun lit classes. Are you at UC Irvine now? RAWK.

Then I was down there a couple weeks ago and me and Saf stopped by Ruby's but NO MEG!! I did find this awesome shake full of chocolate chip, though, which was a big plus.

I've never read anything by Faulkner except The Sound and the Fury. What do you make of his stuff? I'm all down with how accessible he makes stream-of-consciousness, but at the same time, I found the style much more interesting than the plot. YOUR THOUGHTS. GIVE THEM TO ME. I NEED TO KNOW.

megan elizabeth said...

Yup. I'm still living with my moms so I take the train up to Irvine two days a week and have a marathon of schooling.

Were you down over the weekend? I probably should have been there, but I did take the week off when I had my surgery. Was it the double dark chocolate chip, by chance? That shake is pretty fantastic. I'm a huge fan of dark chocolate strawberry and pumpkin chocolate chip too. Soon we're getting mint, so mint oreo time is approaching!!! Why yes, milkshakes are the reason I have stayed so long in the red and the white.

I also haven't read any Faulkner besides The Sound and the Fury, but I thought it would be better for me to take a seminar on an author I don't know as well than it would be to take another Shakespeare class. For me, The Sound and the Fury was more like one of them interlocking short story thingers so I'm interested to see how/if he handles a more unified narrative.

I miss playing music with you. Call me when you're down again. We can has piano jam?

Your Maugham said...

Naw, it was the weekend after the election. And it was the double dark chocolate chip shake. Man, was it tasty.

I totally miss playing music with you too, bro. The Shebas were the best band out of North County EVER. Fuck you, Switchfoot. True story: once I managed to find the first three notes of Dance Song '97 on the piano. I could always try again.